Today I have a special post courtesy of One2OneNetwork.com. Frigidaire has a new washer and dryer set called the Affinity Collection. If you're a mom or even if you're a pet owner you know what it's like to have clothing with tough stains. Tara Aronson, a laundry expert, shares her tips for cleaning hard to treat summer time stains.
5 Summer Stain Tips for Frigidaire by Tara AronsonSmudges, drips, drops and smears – no matter what their source, the key to keeping them from ruining your favorite shorts or T-shirt is to take quick action – before it gets a chance to dry.
For most fabrics, this means blotting up the excess or rinsing the discolored area with cold water (hot can set a stain.) Don’t rub: this spreads the spot and grinds it deeper into the fabric.
Summer spills are especially tough. Here’s how to remove the five most common:
Scrape off as much of the colorful surface as possible using a plastic picnic knife. Apply laundry detergent directly on the stained area. Gently rub the detergent into the fabric then let sit several minutes. Launder using the hottest water the fabric can handle - or the Sanitize setting of your Frigidaire Affinity washer. Dry as usual.
2. Iced coffee.
Sponge the stained area with cold water. Apply a pretreater to the blight. Wash as usual and air dry.
Prewash the garment in warm water in your washing machine –the Rinse & Spin cycle on your Affinity washer – and a laundry detergent containing enzymes. Launder as usual (normal setting) with detergent and chlorine bleach if safe for the fabric. If the garment’s care label instructions advise against it, use oxygen (color safe) bleach instead. Dry as usual.
Soak for a minute or so in cold water. Remove excess water, and then apply a pretreater directly on the stained area. Wash with detergent as usual. Air dry. Do not place in the dryer until the blight is completely gone – otherwise the stain is likely to set.
5. Chocolate (or chocolate ice cream).
Prewash the garment in warm water with a laundry detergent that contains enzymes using the Affinity’s Rinse & spin setting. Launder as usual, using the washing machine’s Normal setting. Dry as usual.
Giveaway Sponsored by Frigidaire:
- Visit Frigidaire's Facebook and try out the movie poster app. (see my cute poster above?) It's pretty simple to use.
- Click on Adventures in Clean tab
- Click Enter
- Enter your information, upload a photo, and click Next
- Click and drag photo to place where you like, choose from 4 different posters or keep the Adventures in Clean with ivy.
- Enter the contest, be sure to read rules and check if you'd like emails from Frigidaire (not necessary)
- Download your poster or print it
- You can enter daily, no purchase necessary
- Contest runs 7/8/2012 to 9/23/2012
- As an added incentive and just a really cool thing - Frigidaire will donate $1.00 per poster created up to $750,000 to Save the Children. (one entry per day)
What summer stain fighting tips do you have? Comment below and share.
Disclosure: This post is part of a blogging relationship with One2OneNetwork. In exchange for me promoting this business partner I'll be entered in a drawing for 1/10 $50 gift cards. As always my opinions are my own and do not in any way reflect the opinions and business practices of Frigidaire or One2OneNetwork.
Subscribe to updates via our Rss feed. Join in on the Weekly Linky's on Wednesday's or Friday's.